So You Want To Write A Memoir?
Bestselling memoirist Mark Matousek will teach you how to turn your story into a book in these nine key lessons.
In this comprehensive nine-week e-course, The Nuts & Bolts of Memoir, Mark Matousek introduces you to the fundamentals of writing skillful personal narrative. He brings three decades of experience as an author, teacher, and editor to these nine illuminating lessons, revealing the common pitfalls, mistakes, and misunderstandings that beginning memoirists tend to make, and how to navigate them.
How do we frame our story? What are the necessary ingredients of effective memoir? What is the language of emotion, and how can do we articulate interior experience? What is our responsibility to living people in memoir? How can we elevate personal experience to encompass the mythic and universal? Finally, what is your core narrative – the story you need to tell – and the trajectory of that transformative tale?
The Nuts & Bolts of Memoir is designed to guide writers – as well as non-writers – into their inner world, to tell the “untold story”, and gain insights into themselves in the process.
What you will learn in The Nuts & Bolts of Memoir:
- In Lesson One, “Creating the I,” you will learn how to turn yourself into a protagonist on the page
- In Lesson Two, “Creating a Frame,” you will learn to sketch the arc of your memoir, where it begins and where it ends.
- In Lesson Three, you will focus on “Finding the Moments” in your story, the essential building blocks of the narrative
- In Lesson Four, you will practice “Creating a Scene” that is both powerful and cohesive
- In Lesson Five, you come to the challenge of “Creating Dialogue” in real-life writing
- In Lesson Six, “Creating Momentum” teaches you to keep your reader turning pages
- In Lesson Seven, you will explore “The Engine of Desire” – the question that is driving your memoir, the why behind your desire to tell this story
- In Lesson Eight, you investigate “The Power of Perception” as a memoirist’s primary requirement for recreating lived experience in writing (how you see is how you write)
- Finally, in Lesson Nine, Mark explains how the “The Power of Intention” strengthens your experience of writing memoir and focuses what you want to create
Full of practical tools and insights gained over Mark’s 30-year career as an author, this field guide to memoir writing shows students how to focus the story they want to tell, structure that story for narrative impact, and tell their tale as vividly and truthfully as possible. Learn these necessary tools to constructing a well-written memoir:
- How to organize the moments of our story into a coherent whole
- How to tell the the difference between a situation and a story
- How to create an irresistible narrator
- How to find the question the drives your memoir
- How to write believable dialogue
- How to create three-dimensional scenes through the power of heightened perception
- Why fearlessness, shamelessness, and recklessness are critical to writing a first draft
- How to write about people in our lives without violating their anonymity
- How even painful experience can be illuminated and redeemed through memoir
This nine-week e-course is only $67
“I hope you’ll allow me to use this course to help guide you toward your creative potential. I believe, that you will enjoy not only the process but the outcome as well. Please visit my calendar for a list of classes, workshops, and other events where we might work together. And check out my free monthly teleconference and discussion group, The Seekers Forum. Each month, I give a talk on a topic concerning the question, “How do we live?”